Thursday, 6 February 2014

Packing for the Hospital

A lot of what I thought I might need based on lists I'd read of what other people packed I ended up not needing. While my hospital may be unique, they provided a ton of stuff. Ice packs, Tucks pads, maxi pads, numbing spray, those fab mesh panties, lanolin cream, lip blam. They encouraged me to take everything home so I was pretty well set up. I wore the clean hospital gowns as well. There was always a stack of fresh clean ones so I could change whenever I wanted (which was frequently...after you have a baby you sweat, there are various other things I won't detail but you'll stain stuff, it's inevitable), you can un-do the top quickly and easily for nursing and best of all? You get to leave the dirty ones behind for someone else to wash instead of hauling them home (like your own pj's) to wash when you are deliriously tired and have a three day old baby with jaundice!


What I packed and what I actually used:

Hospital Packing



- Two pairs of pajamas
- Black robe
- Black granny panties
- Nursing shirt
- Nursing tank top
- Nursing bra
- Cardigan
- Leggings
- Flip-flops
- Two pairs of fuzzy socks
- Makeup bag (only used tinted moisturizer, concealer and mascara)
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Deodorant
- Dry shampoo
- Body wash (That first shower after giving birth? It is as amazing as everyone says it is!)
- Face wipes
- Moisturizer
- Face wipes
- Body lotion
- Tooth brush
- Tooth paste
- Floss
- Maxi pads
- Hair ties and bobby pins
- Headband
- Hairbrush (I threw my hair into a bun and called it good haha)
- Lip balm (essential during labor!)
- Lanolin cream (I used what they gave me and saved mine)
- Nursing pads
- Nursing pillow (My Brest Friend)
- iPad
- iPhone
- Notebook
- Camera
- Pens



For baby the hospital provided diapers, wipes, socks, hats, pacifier, receiving blankets (not to take home)...really everything you could need except for the going home outfit and carseat! Take full advantage of it! Take everything you haven't used up with you when you leave and use the stacks of fresh, clean receiving blankets to wrap your baby up while you're there, don't bother using yours. As with the hospital gowns, use them! Let someone else do the laundry while you still can!

What I packed for baby:
- Diaper bag
- Two outfits
- Two hats
- Socks
- Receiving blankets
- Regular blanket
- Pacifiers


Since my water broke two and a half weeks early we were caught a little off guard and my husband hadn't packed.  For your hubby/boyfriend I would recommend the following:
- Two changes of clothes
- Sweatpants, t-shirt or pajamas
- Overnight toiletries (toothbrush, deodorant, shampoo, etc.)
- Phone


We didn't pack any snacks or drinks like some people recommend bringing and we didn't need to. Our hospital/nurses were amazing at bringing drinks and snacks/food. I had popsicles, water and ice chips during labor and they brought Neil a snack pack with a sandwich, fruit and carrot sticks. After Isla was born we were able to order meals through a touchscreen in our recovery room and at night the nurses were great and brought snacks whenever I wanted (bagels, sandwiches, pudding, etc.) as well as drinks. The signature "mocktail" in labor and delivery was cranberry juice and sprite with lots of ice. They brought me one as soon as Isla was out and after being on ice chips for hours, it was the best tasting thing I'd ever had!

No comments: