Thursday, 2 January 2014

Weekly Pregnancy Update
How far along: 36 weeks + 2 days
How big is baby: The Bump says honeydew, Babycenter says as long as a head of romaine lettuce and What to Expect says watermelon (17.2-22in inches long and 4.2-6.5 pounds)
Total weight gain: Almost 24lbs (Yikes!)
Maternity clothes: Oh yes, and even a few of those things are getting a little snug :-O
Sleep: I've had a cold since this last weekend so between some serious nasal congestion and all my other pregnancy related symptoms, sleep hasn't been so good.
Best moment of the week: Ringing in the new year! 2014 is a year of big and wonderful changes!
Food cravings: Still bagels and fruit, not much specifically though.
Food aversions: Nothing really.
Symptoms: The usual ones and still dealing with crappy, crappy back pain that makes walking really uncomfortable. It's also getting harder and harder to bend down to put socks on or tie my shoes.
Movement: Fewer big kicks, but lots of little wiggles still.
Gender: Little lady!
What I’m looking forward to: The birth! At this point in the game, there isn't much more to do other than wait for our little lady's arrival. I go to the midwife once a week now. The nursery is finished. We've purchased pretty much everything we need. Now we wait :)
What I miss: My old wardrobe and mobility.
Next appt: January 8, 2014


As we creep closer and closer to Isla's due date (26 days away!) I alternate between feeling ready to have her out to snuggle and hold (and be able to put my socks on a bit more easily) and feeling mildly overwhelmed by all the massive changes about to occur. I read a lot of blogs by new and expecting moms and I don't seem to see many people writing about the anxiety of welcoming you first child (or any subsequent) to the world. I'm sure I'm not the only one feeling this way so if you are reading this and have any doubts about what's to come, remember to breathe and that you aren't alone in your feelings. We planned for this baby and we are overjoyed to be growing our family, but I feel it's only natural to have worries and wonders about what will inevitably be the biggest life change my husband and I will ever experience. I feel that now that we have everything purchased and we are "ready" at least materially, my mind (I'm a born worrier) has moved on to worrying about how I will handle all the other changes to come. Will I figure out how to care for a newborn? Will I be a good mom? Will it come naturally to me? How will the transition from couple to family affect my marriage? How will my relationship with my husband change? How will I handle being away from work? These are all things I'm sure every expectant mother thinks about, but few people want to talk about. So I'm going to take my own advice and breathe. I'm going to try and relax these last few weeks of pregnancy and not let doubt and worry overwhelm me. What will be, will be and my life is undoubtedly changing for the better. I will find my way with caring for my daughter, even if I stumble at first. I will define for myself what it means to be a good mom, whether it comes naturally or not. I will remember that my marriage will continue to need work to thrive, as it always has, but that I married the most amazing partner and we are on this journey together. I will remember to breathe.

No comments: