Tuesday, 16 July 2013

Weekly Pregnancy Update
How far along:  12 weeks! We are into the homestretch for the first trimester.
How big is baby: What to Expect says large Plum, Babycenter says Lime (about 2 inches long)
Total weight gain:  2 lbs
Maternity clothes: Tried out both my maternity purchases (jeans and top) but am still getting by
Sleep: Pretty tired all the time, having trouble sleeping because of feeling hot and getting up to pee 3-5 times a night
Best moment of the week: Realizing that the baby will be here in SIX months (also a contender for most terrifying moment of the week)
Food cravings: Lemonade, fruit
Food aversions: Nothing in particular
Symptoms: The usual suspects from last week, with a little more back pain and heartburn
Movement: The books say he/she is moving like a champ, I can't wait until I can feel it
Gender: Another long couple of months until we find out
What I’m looking forward to: Getting some energy back and a proper baby bump!
What I miss: Soda, coffee
Next appt:  July 22, 2013


This pregnancy is finally starting to feel real. For the first trimester, between just trying to function each day (my morning sickness was/is rough, I also had the usual exhaustion) and worry about something going wrong (knock on wood, so far everything is going great) I just kept focusing on getting through it. I didn't really allow myself to get overly excited because you just never know early on. I think reading too many message boards and blogs about women who had experienced problems got to me and I was afraid to fully embrace my pregnancy until the odds of something bad happening went way, way down. I was afraid I would jinx things.

Now that my second trimester is right around the corner, I'm getting very excited/nervous/overwhelmed/etc/etc :) It started to hit me yesterday when I was thinking about announcing the news on Facebook. Which led to worrying about labor/delivery to having a minor freakout during my morning commute about not knowing anything about babies. Seriously. I am so excited for ours to arrive, but I am petrified at the same time. I will be reading the books on what to do after you bring the baby home until the pages are frayed. The realization that a baby - a living, breathing human being that I am currently growing - will be in my arms in approximately six (!!) months is...well, I don't think there is a word to describe the multitude of emotions I'm feeling.

That said, this is an amazing time and I am embracing it. I have my fingers crossed that the "honeymoon trimester" really is a bit easier. I'm hoping the worst of the pregnancy symptoms will ease off and I'll have enough energy to keep my eyes open and read those baby books without passing out on the couch. I've started making a list of what we'll need, compiling freezer crockpot recipes that I can make before the baby arrives and seriously considering those paneled maternity work pants I saw online.

One (almost) down, two to go!!

No comments: