Monday, 9 November 2009

Thanksgiving


The all delicious holiday is coming up Thursday the 26th of November. I had originally booked a week off work with the intention of taking my new husband for his first American Thanksgiving at my parents' house, but unfortunately with the amount of time and designated days we were each able to get off work, we'd spend an entire day flying each way and only be able to spend a few days with my family despite paying a small fortune for travel expenses. Plan B was a brief trip to the city of light - Paris. Ever the romantic (and foodie), I have always dreamt of visiting one of the most historic and culturally significant cities in the world, but never found the opportunity to actually wander its boutique lined streets (whilst nibbling macarons natch). However when you add up flights, hotels, transport, food and miscellaneous expenses, it costs a pretty penny to savour the splendours of Paris. Given all the Christmas shopping looming ahead, we decided that it would be best to put aside any extravagant spending until the new year. So on to Plan C which was to cook my own Thanksgiving dinner. While I thought this would be a no brainer, I have quickly come to realize that many of the foods I took for granted may be a bit harder to come by here in the country the pilgrims celebrated fleeing so many years ago. Thus, I am now taking suggestions for Plan D! I gave up all the days I had initially booked off, but am still taking the 26th so if anyone knows where I can get pumpkin pie (or the filling to make it) any restaurants holding American Thanksgiving dinners in the UK (I’ve heard of a few in London but we live in Cumbria) or any alternative Thanksgiving related or not ideas, I would love to hear them! Hope you enjoyed the weekend!

3 comments:

Jules said...

I googled "pumpkin pie filling" and it looks like you can buy it from this site:
http://www.americansoda.co.uk/uk/American-Soda/Home/Baking/Pie-filling-+-Jell-O/Libby's-Pumpkin-Pie-Filling.aspx

Don't know if it's the right one but...

Mrs Barker said...

That's the one Jules! Thanks so much for having a look for me :) x

Bo said...

Hi there, I lived in Wales for 2 years and did my own Thanksgiving dinner last year. I was able to find the turkey, cornmeal, all of the vegetables, but if you want pumpkin pie, you will have to make pumpkin puree yourself. I served the basic turkey, cornbread dressing, candied sweet potatoes, mexican corn, roast potatoes, rolls, green beans, and apple pie. It can be done with plenty of planning and imagination. Good luck with your dinner! xx (By the way, I am from Mississippi.)