Tuesday, 8 September 2009

Twilight

I have been a bit absent lately because I have started reading the Twilight series. Image borrowed from here.
I usually avoid popular books (e.g. Harry Potter, The Da Vinci Code) like the plague and after hearing a lot about them not being well written, I was very wary when I picked up the first title from the local library. I have been struggling for things to do lately though as I'm currently not working so I decided this would be the perfect time for some lighthearted reading. I figured I had nothing to lose since I was getting it from the library and therefore not paying anything for it!

Let me first say, I am very happy I took a chance on them! While they are not technically advanced or in anyway challenging reading, this is because the target audience is teenagers. The main objectives are plot and character development, at which author Stephenie Meyer is quite successful. The prose is flowing and addictive, definitely page turning.
I quickly got over my initial feelings that they were terribly written as I became entranced with the story. It has been a while since I read a book intended for teens, but once I made my peace with these books being very different than the Russian and French literature I have been reading the past few years, I was hooked!

I have completed Twilight and am over half way through New Moon. I'm currently on the wait list for Eclipse and I'll be sure to write about these books again once I've finished all four.

3 comments:

Katie Walters said...

I'm a late Twilight bloomer as well. Just started Eclipse yesterday. I relate to you when you said you advoid mainstream books normally, but I have become enchanted as well...

Mrs Barker said...

That is so strange! I started Eclipse yesterday as well :) So far, so good! Hope you're enjoying it too!

AngeliStarr said...

LOL! I agree on avoiding popular books but last month, I gave into the twilight thing too. I actually started reading it because of "Midnight Sun". Its Edwards version of twilight but it was leaked online and Meyer doesnt intend to finish it. Which sucks, because I liked it much better than Twilight. I must agree also that it isnt great writing but she is an excellent storyteller. (I blame her editor for that. I even posted a rant on it. If you want to read it, http://angelistarr.blogspot.com/2009/08/pet-peeves-twilight.html)

Have fun reading it. It gets really good.