Friday, 17 April 2009

Good News and Bad News

Bad news first…
Yesterday my Mom called and broke the news to me that the envelope containing Neil’s wage slips, bank statements and a few other important documents for my fiancée visa arrived empty. He had mailed it to my parents since I’m submitting my application back in Oregon and apparently it was improperly sealed so somewhere in between everything was lost :(
We’re quite upset, but luckily we should be able to replace everything. We’re losing time and money and there is the potential for identity theft if someone finds and tries to use the information, but we’re trying to stay positive.

Now to end with the good news…
Neil met with the letting agent this morning and we’ve got a new flat!! He gets to pick up the keys next week :) I’m so excited for our first little home. I can’t wait to paint and decorate and make it our own. Unfortunately we weren’t able to celebrate properly since we were upset about the lost documents. I didn’t sleep well last night because of the stress, so I went out for a walk this afternoon to clear my head. I grabbed an iced Americano (decaf of course) and took a stroll through the Japanese garden. While there I made sure to cross the zigzag bridge. Legend says that demons can’t cross it so hopefully I have left all our demons and bad luck on the other side and Neil and I are in the clear. Fingers crossed at least! Afterwards I sat next to the pond and reflected on all the things we have going for us.
- we can more or less replace all the documents
- they were likely lost in the US lessening the risk of identity theft
- we have wonderful family and friends supporting us
- we’re healthy (a couple on the message board I read are trying to rush their fiancé visa application because he has cancer :/)
- we still have time to get the application submitted for my goal leaving date
- WE JUST GOT A NEW PLACE!
So since life has thrown us yet another lemon, I’m going to keep making lemonade and looking on the bright side and have faith that everything will work out.

No comments: